Thursday, May 17, 2007

A Memorial to the Victims of Communism, and My Tribute to Lee Edwards By Paul Weyrich

"As regular readers of this commentary know, thanks to the late Dr. Robert Krieble, I had the great opportunity to train thousands of people all over the Soviet Union in how to participate in the political process. I did this before the fall of the Berlin Wall but while there still was a Soviet Union although after the fall of the Soviet Empire. It was a remarkable opportunity.

Everywhere I went I heard about the victims of communism. In Sverdlovsk, which I visited in April 1990, I decided that Boris Yeltsin was okay because he permitted young people in his home jurisdiction to build a memorial to the victims of communism. Mind you, this was while the Soviet Union still was in existence. The youth of that country calculated that the communists had killed 70 million people. Imagine that they said this while no one could believe at that point that the Soviet Union would disintegrate. That memorial had been constructed for some years before we saw it. "

Full Article...

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: